Two upcoming “dance in 3D” releases for the UK:
The Mariinsky Ballet’s Giselle, the first ballet production to be filmed in 3D, will be screening across the UK on 29 March, 3 and 5 April.
The filming in 3D is designed to create a pixel-perfect production which captures the movement of a world-class performance in a new way. The corps de ballet fan away from the viewer and the leads dance with stunning realism, giving cinema audiences worldwide a ‘best seat in the house’ experience. The production will feature guest performer Natalia Osipova as Giselle and Leonid Sarafanov as Albrecht.
Valery Gergiev, Artistic Director of the Mariinsky, said of the future of ballet broadcasts in 3D:
It is important as theatrical companies that we all try daring projects. This will be a progressive move to ensure that the future of ballet and opera is never questioned.
- Recorded at Mariinsky Theatre, St Petersburg in 2010. Running Time: 96 minutes (2 acts)
- For details of participating cinemas visit the More 2 Screen website
- Read our Giselle fact card
- Read our Mariinsky fact card
Acclaimed movie director Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas, The Buena Vista Social Club) presents a revolutionary new 3D film that captures the aesthetic of Pina Bausch’s greatest works in a thrilling way. This promises to be one of the cinema experiences of the year and a feast for the senses.
- Special preview and introduction by Wim Wenders – Tuesday 12 April, 9.20pm, Curzon Mayfair
A preview screening of Pina, introduced by the director. Book your tickets here.
- Curzon Screen Salon: Pina and Dance on Film – Monday 25 April, 5.00pm, Curzon Mayfair
This Screen Salon looks at the rich and diverse relationship between dance and film, from An American in Paris to Fish Tank. Hosted by Ian Haydn Smith, Editor of the International Film Guide. Book your tickets here.
Watch the Trailers:
Giselle in 3D