}

In Costume Wonderland, plus Alice DVD Promo!

by Emilia & Linda on March 1, 2012

We’ve written before about the key role stage design and costumes play in giving dance works an extra dimension. Costumes help set the tone, create a mood and build characters. From the iconic tutus that emerged from Imperial Russia to colorful modern designs (we particularly love the funky unitards in MacMillan’s Elite Syncopations) or minimalist looks, they provide dance works with a clear visual identity.

Last week we did something we have always wanted to do since starting this blog: we dropped by the Royal Opera House’s costume department to take some pictures. With Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland set to return to the stage in two weeks* , costumes are back from Toronto (the ballet is a co-production with the National Ballet of Canada) and they are getting some TLC ahead of their second outing here in London.

*to celebrate the revival of Alice and its release on DVD, the Royal Opera House and Opus Arte are giving away two signed DVD copies (See how to enter at the bottom of this feature).

Costume Supervisor James Kelly, who has been with the company for 16 years, walked us through the creations of Tony Award-winning designer Bob Crowley for Christopher Wheeldon’s ballet, giving us great insight into the costume department’s role in producing and caring for these garments:

Details of Alice costume

The costumes arrived from Canada around December last year. The department’s job involves a lot of maintenance: airing, dry cleaning, washing, adapting to new casts, sourcing fabrics for new pieces, getting them dyed or printed as needed. Here is the lavender-coloured costume Alice wears for most of the ballet:

Alice Costume

Details of Alice Costume

Changes in the production might impact on costumes. Upon receiving the whole set ahead of revival, the costume department must liaise with the production team and find out whether they need to produce any new garments.

Details of various Alice costumes

For this revival of Alice the corps de ballet‘s “colour placing” has changed, so the team had to order four new flower costumes “because the colours have to follow a certain order on the stage. If one of the girls danced it last year but she’s now in a different place it might mean we need to make a new one” James explains.

Guard and Flower costumes

Over the years, fabrics used in dance costuming have changed a lot. According to James “They are now more stretchy, which can be tricky especially in character costumes. Sometimes you need to find a balance with structure, there’s a lot of give.” Alice’s mother’s costume (pictured below), which feels much lighter than one would expect in a “bulkier” costume, is a good example:

Alice's Mother

We wonder how long these costumes would take to put on? James tells us the most intricate of the lot is worn by “The Duchess” (not pictured). It takes five minutes to put on and is currently stored in a whole rail of its own.

Details - Alice's Mother's Costume

Speaking of storage, James explains that after each production, costumes go back to a huge aircraft hangarlike facility in Wales, where all the costumes for ballet and opera are kept “so that what we have in the building is either for current productions or those that are coming up soon.”

Various costumes

The Royal Opera House has a production wardrobe but most pieces are made outside. Because of the sheer volume of what is needed for each production, it would be impossible to make everything in house.

Playing card costume

Typically principal dancer costumes are made in house, but corps de ballet and character pieces are made outside by a team of freelance costume makers who also work with other companies. The ROH outsources to different teams depending on costume specifications: some costume makers specialize in romantic, floaty garments, while others deal exclusively with tutus.

Back view of bodice in a playing card costume

James says “We try to make the costumes so that they are adaptable to be shared. Due to its nature of being a co-production, some of the Alice pieces have to be let out and then taken in again, or adjusted with two or three rows of bars running down the back… “

Playing card tutu

Stack of playing card tutus

We’re curious about the trickiest ballets to cater for and we ask James whether The Sleeping Beauty is the hardest: “that’s a big production, but then again you have sets of things: the garland dancers, the nymphs, the fairies, cavaliers…

Detail of Rajah's costume

…whereas in something like Mayerling, everybody is an individual character so every costume is different and then for the girls there are tiaras, necklaces, earrings, gloves, fans, every single accessory you can think of. Something like that is definitely more work for us.”

Details of the Rajah's costume

March Hare costume and details

Typically, ballet costumes last about 20 years, with the oldest set coming from La Fille Mal Gardée (some of the character costumes are about 52 years old and still in use) and Marguerite and Armand, where some of the gentlemen costumes date back to the 1963 premiere.

Mad Hatter costume

Details of Mad Hatter costume

Some of Crowley’s costumes are full of details, like the exquisite embroidery in the Mad Hatter’s waistcoat. If you’re sitting up in the gods, be sure to focus your binoculars on this one:

Detail of Mad Hatter costume

The notion of the dance costume as a “true work of art” goes back to the times of Léon Bakst, but past and present legends like Jürgen Rose, Barbara Karinska, Nicholas Georgiadis, Santo Loquasto, Peter Farmer, John MacFarlane, Jérôme Kaplan and, as seen here, Bob Crowley, demonstrate that much of the emotion in dance continues to come from costumes and their own moods and rhythms.

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland returns to the Royal Opera House from 17 March to 13 April 2012. The production is also available from Opus Arte on DVD and Blu-ray:

The Royal Opera House and Opus Arte are giving away one DVD and one Blu-ray of Wheeldon’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. The two sets have been autographed by Royal Ballet Principals Lauren Cuthbertson (Alice), Steven McRae (the Mad Hatter), Zenaida Yanowsky (the Queen of Hearts) and Edward Watson (the White Rabbit)

To enter leave a comment or email us ( theballetbag [at] gmail.com ) by 22 March 2012:

Who is your favorite character in Wheeldon’s ballet Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and why?

Don’t forget to tell us if you prefer the DVD or Blu-ray format. Entries from all over the globe are welcome.

9/04/2012 – Promo results:

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Alice DVD promo. As usual it was tough for us to pick only two answers (once again, Randomizer to the rescue!) from all the wonderful comments and emails you sent.

We are pleased to announce the two winning entries:

The Blu-ray goes to Cassie Powers who emailed all the way from Seattle:

Never having seen Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, I live in Seattle where it has not been mounted, I can only base my response on what I’ve seen from promo featurettes online. Lauren Cuthbertson is just enchanting, but I can’t say at the moment that Alice is my favorite character. Based on the book, and purely for the WOW factor and technical reasons I’ve seen, I’d say the Cheshire Cat. Love that character in the book, and what I’ve seen in behind the scenes at how he is created and performed, I’m just amazed. It certainly creates major magic onstage… I would love an opportunity to see a full performance of this wonderful ballet… if I were not to win a copy, I’ll probably buy a copy, but winning one would be nice…

… and the DVD goes to Eeva who commented as follows:

My favorite has to be Queen of Hearts, mostly because of Zenaida Yanowsky’s aMaZiNg role work / interpretation! The character is so versatile, thus challenging for the dancer to keep it interesting (not just concentrate on the evil side, but also the funny stuff). (Plus: I love the red tutu!)

Do stay tuned for more DVD promotions in 2012!

{ 4 trackbacks }

#RBLive: The Royal Ballet Behind the Scenes
March 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland: A Photo Gallery
March 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm
03-04/03/2012 – Daily News | Dansecyclopedie
June 20, 2012 at 10:11 am
Birmingham Royal Ballet presents Aladdin
March 20, 2013 at 1:02 pm

{ 44 comments }

Dave March 1, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Ooh this is a toughie! Alice had a much deeper character than I expected (partly, I’m sure, due to the excellent ballerina’s dancing the role) and the Queen of Hearts is hilarious, but my favourite role simply has to be the Mad Hatter! It’s such a different role to what I’m used to seeing at the Royal Ballet and it’s delivered with panache.

Although, with the expansion of the Knave of Hearts role, maybe I’ll change my mind this coming season!

(@RoyalOperaHouse) (@RoyalOperaHouse) March 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Step into costume wonderland with @TheBalletBag including the chance to win a signed Alice DVD! http://t.co/yfUs8NQQ #ROHalice ^C

(@naomip86) (@naomip86) March 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm

RT @theballetbag: New photoblog in the bag: a visit to costume wonderland + a signed DVD promo http://t.co/XGvGU5hE #AliceinTwitterland #freestuff

(@asanderson197) (@asanderson197) March 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Kristine March 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I actually like the quirkiness of Alice! The way Lauren Cuthberson plays Alice was just fantastic. She bring in so much more elements which you would never see in the traditional Alice. The Alice featured here is not only quirky but also rather cheeky … and there is a hint of naughtiness in it too. I really liked the ending of the ballet as it seemed as though the journey never ended.

I would prefer the DVD format of the ballet

Karen Bolton March 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm

My favourite character is the White Rabbit because the role remains true to the original story but adds complex layers to it. I think it is masterful how the White Rabbit constantly gives the impression of being in a rush, even when he isn’t looking at his watch, but this doesn’t detract from the elegance of the dancing. I love it when he taps his feet to the ticking of the watch and if you look very carefully you will see his nose twitching!

I would prefer the DVD format of the ballet.

Eeva March 1, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I’m so happy that this production is available on dvd/blu-ray, the casting is superb :) If I’m lucky enough to win, it would be the dvd.

Wen March 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I love all the characters and think the choreography suit each individual perfectly. However, my favourite has to be the White Rabbit. The onstage transformation from Lewis Carroll to the White Rabbit is fun and magical, and the witty choreography brings out the quickness and slightly paranoid characteristics of the Rabbit. Also, it’s such a delightful experience to see Edward Watson performing a non-tragical figure once in a while!
I would prefer the DVD format.

james kelly (@jesmes) March 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm

http://t.co/OD5UHgip my interview with the girls from the ballet bag

Chris March 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I was totally enchanted by Wheeldon’s production and was lucky enough to catch its televised airing over the Christmas period. I adored Lauren Cuthbertson’s sweet and curious Alice, and, of course, the outrageously hilarious Queen of Hearts (I simply could not stop laughing and had to YouTube the clip to many friends as a recommendation to other to go and see it), but I have to confess that my favourite character was the Cheshire Cat as I thought it was superbly executed theatrically. I don’t want to spoil it for other people, so I won’t delve into the details of what and how it was done, but I certainly think the designer and the creation of Wonderland on stage deserve their own special recognition! :)

Nina March 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm

That is a tough one. Alice is such a lovely character, and the Mad-Hatter is a showstopper. However, the Caterpillar is my favourite. Not only is Eric Underwood divine in the role, but Wheeldon’s choreography really brings the character to life I love it and his section is one of my favourite parts of the ballet!

Nina March 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Oh, and I’d prefer the blu-ray format :)

(@catchip) (@catchip) March 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Great post & photos beautifully presented even on titchy phone screen RT @theballetbag: a visit to costume wonderland http://t.co/RFnzQMpP

Fleegull March 1, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Come to the US already!

Johanna (@PointeTilUdrop) March 1, 2012 at 10:26 pm

The Queen of Hearts! Zenaida Yanowsky owns the character! The Rose Adagio parody is just brilliantly danced fun :)

Oh, and I would prefer Alice in DVD-format, thank you very much. Should I be so lucky, that is.

Chris (@ManInSeatD26) March 2, 2012 at 5:23 am

RT @theballetbag: New photoblog: in costume wonderland + a signed DVD promo http://t.co/XGvGU5hE #AliceinTwitterland #freestuff

Milly March 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

I saw Alice on TV at Christmas and really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at the Royal Opera House soon!

My fave was the Mad Hatter – I loved his tap-dancing – brilliant!

DVD please.

Renee Beauvais March 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

Ooo this is a toughy… all the characters are wonderful but I got to go with the Queen of Hearts.
She is funny but also positively evil, even creepy, like in a nightmare. Love the red tutu and her plastic heart!

The dvd is my preference.

Julie March 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I wish I could see it live, but the TV version will have to do. All of the characters are superbly realised by the Choreographer and the dancers themselves, but I have to say my favourite was Zenaida Yanowsky’s Red Queen.

Shoudl I be lucky enough to win, DVD version please.

RuthyMC163 (@RuthyMC163) March 2, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Shannon March 2, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I would have to say I just love the character of Alice. Her dancing is so expressive and beautiful. It is difficult to pick one because so many of the characters are fabulous.

DVD

robin (mahrobi) March 3, 2012 at 11:36 am

well, i have not seen the full production, only what snippets i’ve found on youtube but i think i will have to go with alice because lauren cuthbertson plays her brilliantly. i also think the cheshire cat is very clever!
ps- great post here, i adore the detailed costume photos!
(DVD format)

Elizabeth March 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Very difficult to choose between any of the wonderful roles and the dancers performing them, particularly Alice and the White Rabbit. However, the Duchess must deserve a special mention for the witty and truly remarkable ballet début of Simon Russell Beale.

If selected, a Blu-Ray please.

Stella March 5, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I love, love, and absolutely love the Queen of Hearts. She amazing in every detail: her facial expression, her choreography, her costumes! She is just fabulous!
I would prefer the Blu-Ray. :)

Laura Juache March 5, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hi!!! Well I actually loved all the caracters but my absolute favorite us the mad hatter. Everything about him was amazing. The clothes design, the choreography and the interpretation wre simply wonderful. I really would love to see it on live but live a little far far away. If win I prefer blu-ray but dvd is as good for me :)

masako tanaka (@ma_metropole) March 6, 2012 at 8:37 am

3月うさぎ。。。なんてかわゆいフレーム。ハートマークがさりげなく散りばめられている。(^o^) http://t.co/kHkcVbcf

Annie March 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

As much as I love the queen of heats and the mad hatter, I think my preference goes to the Cheshire cat: he’s simply brilliantly put together (and taken apart!) but most of all i really appreciate how he links the ballet with the original book and illustrations.

Robbie Downey (@balletbabble) March 6, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Costumalicious! The Ballet Bag dropped by The Royal Opera House’s costume dept! @theballetbag http://t.co/nfMvQy10

Annie March 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Oh, and a great post about costumes! i recently had the opportunity to lend a hand in the costume department here and i thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The work that goes into making these one-of-a kind creations, the care to make them last for years and the last minute rush to make everything fit just right! Thanks for a great sneak peek into this sometimes forgotten part of ballet.

(@RoyalOperaHouse) (@RoyalOperaHouse) March 14, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Calling all costume fans! Ahead of the return of Alice, take a look at @TheBalletBag’s photoblog and comp! http://t.co/yfUs8NQQ ^C

@DesignedbyAlice March 14, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Love your ‘Alice’ photoblog @theballetbag http://t.co/m9qxiTIo

Chris Shipman (@chrisshipman) March 15, 2012 at 7:56 am

RT @theballetbag: One week left to take part in our Alice DVD promo! See details in our costume photoblog -> http://t.co/FQwtDSRq #ballet #freestuff

Ellen Kay (@PennyAgain) March 15, 2012 at 8:38 am

Giselle R March 15, 2012 at 10:28 am

“Hats” off to all of the amazing performers but my favourite simply has to be Alice! Exquisite dancing and she just draws you into the entire Wonderland with her charm!
If I should be so lucky – DVD please!
Also: the costumes are amazing! Thanks for sharing these delicious eye-candies! I simply had to add your blog to my bloglist.

Giselle Rakobowchuk (@GiselleArtist) March 15, 2012 at 10:34 am

Alys Swan-Jackson March 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Wonderful performances all round, but my favourite has to be the Duchess. Simon Russell-Beale does a great job as a non-dancer, and of course superb acting!
I would prefer the DVD, should I be so lucky.

Giulia Pampolha (@giuliapampolha) March 17, 2012 at 5:12 pm

In Costume Wonderland, plus Alice DVD Promo! – http://t.co/btcno4cf

Giulia Pampolha (@giuliapampolha) March 17, 2012 at 5:12 pm

In Costume Wonderland, plus Alice DVD Promo! – http://t.co/btcno4cf

(@theballetbag) (@theballetbag) March 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm

#AliceinTwitterland : you’ve seen the ballet, now enter the DVD promo! See details in our photoblog -> http://t.co/FQwtDSRq #freestuff

(@theballetbag) (@theballetbag) March 20, 2012 at 12:02 am

@cassie_51 email us who is your favorite character in the ballet Alice, more here (scroll to footer) -> http://t.co/XGvGU5hE

Pink Lady March 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

My favorite character has always been the White rabbit: irritating but cuddly-like… and Ed Watson is so eye-catching on stage, I love his ever-puzzled look in this role.
(If I’m lucky I’d prefer the DVD…)

Otherwise the hearts between the photos are very nice ♥. Gorgeous costumes – with so many details you can’t appreciate on stage! I should try to sit closer to the stage next season…

Ellie Badham March 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I’d love a copy of this! I moved to Canada from the UK 5 years ago and I really miss my occasional trips to visit the RB! They didn’t happen often but they were fantastic every time :)

Beth March 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Can anybody tell me what fabric was used for the flowers tutus? I know they must be synthetic because they’ve been dyed and the edges were cut irregularly and burned. I want to do the burning effect for my textiles project.

Beth March 30, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Forgot to mention- my favourite character was the Caterpillar- I saw the ballet a few days ago and he was so mesmerising and fluid in his dance, I think they tried to make all the costumes quite historically Victorian (see the animals costumes and their similarities/referencing to hunting jackets and their comparison to country folk) and because the Caterpillar is an eccentric and quite exotic character they’ve dealt with this by going for an asian theme to the wardrobe.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: