English National Ballet has just wrappedÂ its first official season as a Sadler’s Wells associate ballet company. The programme, Modern Masters, brought together acclaimed works by three of the most influential choreographers of the 20th century: JiÅ™Ã KyliÃ¡n, John Neumeier and William Forsythe. To highlight their styles, influences and roots, we had the honour of making this interactive infographicÂ which was published on ENB’s blog.
We also had the opportunity to catch the opening night of Modern Masters at Sadler’s, so here are our six reasons why we loved theÂ programme:
1) ENB addedÂ two new ballets to its ever-increasing repertory.
2) KyliÃ¡n’s skill in blending the physical with the theatrical. Plus,Â crinolines! Foils! Silk!
3) We finally got to see a John Neumeier ballet in the UK, led byÂ hisÂ muse Alina Cojocaru, no less. It was particularly moving to see Alina take a curtain call with him, there was so much love and respect between these two.
4) ENB put itsÂ up and coming starsÂ centre stage…
5) … and established dancers also got the chanceÂ to really devour the stage.
6) They did FORSYTHE!!!
Some more beautiful images of Modern Masters courtesy of Alice Pennefather:
All Photos: Â© Alice Pennefather