The month of October brought a historical dance event to the Royal Opera House’s main stage, with Britain’s leading ballet companies getting together to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Kenneth MacMillan’s death, and his choreographic legacy. The festival Kenneth MacMillan: a National Celebration, which closes tonight, included the following MacMillan classics:
- Birmingham Royal Ballet in Concerto.
- Scottish Ballet in a new production of Le Baiser de la fée (The Fairy’s Kiss).
- The psychedelic ragtime ballet Elite Syncopations featuring dancers from BRB, English National Ballet, Northern Ballet, The Royal Ballet and Scottish Ballet.
- The Royal Ballet in MacMillan’s final work, the uncompromising The Judas Tree.
- Northern Ballet in the evocative Gloria.
- ENB in Song of the Earth.
Alice Pennefather captured the first four ballets in this striking photo gallery:All photos: © Alice Pennefather, courtesy of ROH