The month of October brought a historical dance event to the Royal Opera House’s main stage, with Britain’s leading ballet companies getting together to celebrateÂ the 25th anniversary of Kenneth MacMillan’s death, and his choreographic legacy. The festival Kenneth MacMillan: a National Celebration, whichÂ closes tonight,Â included the following MacMillan classics:
- Birmingham Royal BalletÂ inÂ Concerto.
- Scottish Ballet in a new production ofÂ Le Baiser de la fÃ©eÂ (The Fairyâ€™s Kiss).
- The psychedelic ragtime ballet Elite SyncopationsÂ featuring dancers from BRB, English National Ballet, Northern Ballet, The Royal Ballet and Scottish Ballet.
- The Royal Ballet in MacMillan’s final work, the uncompromisingÂ The Judas Tree.
- Northern Ballet in the evocativeÂ Gloria.
- ENB in Song of the Earth.
Alice Pennefather captured the first four ballets in thisÂ striking photo gallery:All photos: Â© Alice Pennefather, courtesy of ROH